I made this recipes up last week after deciding I wanted a cream pasta for dinner but couldn't find any recipes which weren't too heavy. I love pasta, and this is such a quick and easy dish. You can swap the asparagus for peas or anything you like. Great served with some garlic bread.
Serves 2 (can easily be doubled up to serve 4 people)
- Half a pack of smoked bacon chopped (you can use unsmoked if you prefer)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 small glass of cider or white wine (if you prefer not to use wine or cider you can use a little chicken stock)
- Handful of chestnut mushrooms thinly sliced
- 125g asparagus sliced into inch long pieces
- 250g fresh pasta
- 142ml double cream
- Some fresh parmesan
- a small handful of parsley chopped
- On a medium heat cook the bacon in a little oil until crisp and set aside.
- Using the same oil you used to cook the bacon soften the onions for 10 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes until the garlic is just beginning to colour.
- Add in the cider (of what ever you prefer) and allow for the alcohol to cook off (this should take 5-10 minutes).
- Cook the asparagus for 3 minutes and set aside into a bowl of cold water.
- To the sauce add the cream and mushrooms and allow to thicken for 5 minutes (do not cook for too long otherwise the sauce will split) then add in the asparagus so it can warm through. Season and add in the cooked bacon.
- In the meantime cook the pasta as pre the packet instructions and drain.
- Mix the pasta and sauce together and serve with parmesan and the parsley.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I did, please let me know your thoughts!