Serves 2 people
- 1 large aubergine
- Vegetable oil (enough for shallow frying)
- 4 Spring onions
- 4 tbsp of light (sweet) miso
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- Wash the aubergines and cut in half, then score the cut side of the aubergines diagonally, forming a diamond pattern in the flesh.
- Heat about 0.5cm/0.25in oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. When it's hot, add the aubergine halves, cut side down. Fry the halves until lightly browned, about three minutes. Turn over and lightly fry the other side for a further minute or two. The aubergines should be fairly soft. Remove and set aside on kitchen paper.
- Pre heat the grill to medium, then prepare the miso topping. Place the miso into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Grate the ginger into the bowl, then stir in the shoyu or soy sauce and mirin.
- Place the aubergines onto a baking sheet, cut-side up. Spoon the miso topping over the aubergine halves, then place them under the grill. Grill until the miso topping is just beginning to brown and bubble slightly, but don't allow it to burn.
- Place the aubergine on a plate and scatter with the finely chopped spring onions and serve!